There's no source like where the buck stops, and for this reason we're thrilled to welcome David Yuengling, President of Yuengling's Ice Cream, to answer some of our fundamental questions about his company's super-premium brand, history, and future.
1. How did you come to start working at Yuengling's?
I am the great-grandson of the founder, so I guess I inherited the positon of CEO. I originally started working for my father when he ran the company, while I was in high school and college.
2.What are your company's ambitions, where do you see the company in 10 years?
We have expanded considerably in our first three years and plan on continuing that expansion. We see ourselves as national brand within ten years.
3. Who do you see as your competitors in the retail space?
We are a Super Premium ice cream, so we consider any other brand with a similar quality as our competitors.
4. Outside of Yuengling's, what's your favorite ice cream?
I prefer homemade ice cream shop ice cream, made from scratch in the store. I don’t feel that any other commercial brands can compare to that type of quality.
5. What's something about Yuengling's that most customers don't/might not know?
We are not part of the brewery. Although our origin is from the brewery, we operate as a completely separate company. Also, there is NO beer or alcohol in our ice cream. We are a family friendly ice cream brand.
6. What's the most expensive ingredient across all flavors?
Currently, vanilla is very expensive, but like a lot of our ingredients, they fluctuate with supply and demand.
7. What's your personal favorite Yuengling's flavor?
I am a vanilla lover. You can tell a lot about the quality of an ice cream by how good their vanilla is. Ours has won several awards.
8. Who do you look up to in the business world?
I admire anyone who takes the risk to start up their own business and go after their dreams.
9. What trends do you see in ice cream now?
Salty and sweet is still popular, and flavors with heat (spicy) are now starting to emerge.
10. Any new flavors in the works?
We have three new flavors planned for 2017
You heard it here first folks, three new flavors for 2017. What will they be? We'll let you know–subscribe to Deli Market News for the latest ice cold scoop of reality.