After immigrating to Milwaukee from Santa Elia, Sicily, the Balistreri family began peddling quality fruits and vegetables by horse-drawn wagon. This began on the northeast side of Milwaukee, and eventually led to the opening of produce markets on Oakland and Downer avenues. In 1949, Grandpa Tom Balistreri — simply and affectionately known at Sendik’s as Mr. B — opened a third Sendik’s fruit and vegetable market on the corner of Silver Spring and Lake drives in the heart of Whitefish Bay. The store became known for honesty and integrity in treating customers and suppliers with courtesy and respect. The business flourished.