Paula Deen Gets Dumped
The Food Network announced that it would not renew Paula Deen’s contract after her recent admission to having used racial slurs in the past, according to CBS.
The kitchen celebrity released a tearful videotaped apology begging forgiveness from fans and viewers.
Court documents filed this week revealed Deen told an attorney questioning her under oath last month that she has used the N-word. "Yes, of course," Deen said, though she added, "It's been a very long time."
The Food Network, which made Deen a star with "Paula's Home Cooking" in 2002 and later "Paula's Home Cooking" in 2008, released a statement this past Friday.
"Food Network will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month," the statement said.
The news came as Deen worked to repair the damage to her image.
In a video clip, posted Friday, the 66-year-old Food Network star said, "I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I've done. I want to learn and grow from this."
Deen did not show up for a scheduled appearance on the "Today" show where she was expected to discuss the issue. She released a second video Friday afternoon explaining why she didn't appear on "Today."
"I was invited this morning to speak with Matt Lauer about a subject that has been very hurtful for a lot of people," Deen said. "And Matt, I have to say, I was physically unable this morning. The pain has been tremendous that I have caused to myself and to others."
Court records show Deen was involved in a deposition May 17 in a discrimination lawsuit filed last year by a former employee who managed Uncle Bubba's Seafood and Oyster House, a Savannah restaurant owned by Deen and her brother, Bubba Hiers. The former employee claimed she was sexually harassed and worked in a hostile environment rife with innuendo and racial slurs.
"Bubba and I, neither one of us, care what the color of your skin is" or what gender a person is, Deen said. "It's what's in your heart and in your head that matters to us."