Monday, June 17th, 2019
US Foods is turning it out for the summer, with 21 innovative foodservice products making their debut. The Summer Scoop 2019 line is designed to help independent restaurant operators keep up with today’s busy diners by honing in convenience-dining and environmentally-conscious options.
“We recently surveyed more than 500 independent restaurant operators and found that only 53 percent felt confident in their ability to utilize delivery services,” said Stacey Kinkaid, Vice President, Product Development and Innovation. “Right now, we know that delivery and on-the-go dining is causing major shifts in the restaurant world.”
According to a press release, 38 percent of U.S. adults—including 50 percent of millennials—affirm they are more likely to have restaurant food delivered than they were two years ago.
Kinkaid added: “More than 80 percent of consumers report using services that let them enjoy restaurant food outside of the restaurant at least monthly. This Summer Scoop lineup gives our customers the tools, the products, and the confidence they need to provide delivery, take-out, grab-and-go, and retail solutions for anytime, anywhere dining.”
Convenience Meets Environmentally Conscious
Diners these days are sustainably savvy, and as a result, US Foods’ Summer Scoop features an assortment of environmentally-friendly options, like bowls—which appear on one-third of U.S. menus and have grown at a 16 percent rate over the past four years. New items include the following:
- Monogram Molded Fiber Bowl: This bowl is 100 percent compostable and Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI) certified, sustainably made from molded wheat fiber, and can be used for hot and cold meals. It’s also a Serve Good product, meeting rigorous criteria set by US Foods for responsible sourcing or waste reduction
- Monogram Wheat Fiber Soufflé Cup: This Serve Good item is used for sauces, dips, dressings, and other condiments. It is 100 percent compostable, made from molded wheat fiber, as well as BPI certified
- Monogram Pulp Folding Container: This item is 100 percent compostable, BPI-certified, and is designed with a double-locking system that requires no lid. This Serve Good product comes in a 32-ounce size
On-the-Go Proteins and Greens
In addition to environment-saving, the Summer Scoop lineup touts many labor-saving options as well that are perfect for delivery, including the following:
- Chef’s Line All Natural* Hickory Smoked Diced Pork Belly: This slow-cooked meat is smoked for four hours, eliminating costly time, labor, and the need for special equipment. The ingredient profile meets the standards of US Foods Unpronounceables List initiative aimed at producing products with simple, more recognizable ingredients
- Patuxent Farms All Natural* Sliced Fire Grilled Chicken Breast: Helping restaurant owners with quick preparation and consistent portioning, this flame-seared whole muscle chicken breast is fully cooked with defined grill marks and comes pre-sliced
- Cross Valley Farms Baby Leaf and Herb Mix: This pre-washed, ready-to-use product contains parsley and dill for an aromatic, on-trend mix that can be used in a variety of applications. From salads to burger toppers, this item requires no extra attention, so it is the ultimate back-of-house product
In the same vein, US Foods is also helping foodservice operators and diners save time with a few handy-dandy snack and dessert grab-and-go products. These items, which include the following, can help reduce labor and preparation costs and offer key retail solutions:
- Chef’s Line Lemon Loaf Cake Slice: This item is made with the juice of California lemons and without high-fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, or preservatives. The ingredient profile complies with US Foods Unpronounceables List initiative and comes pre-sliced and pre-wrapped for grab-and-go usage
- Chef’s Line Chocolate Banana Swirled Loaf Cake Slice: Pre-sliced and pre-wrapped, this product is made with ripened whole bananas, midnight cocoa, and semi-sweet chocolate. It contains no high-fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives, and the ingredient profile complies with the US Foods Unpronounceables List initiative
- Chef’s Line Buttermilk Biscuit: Made with real butter and buttermilk and no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives, this larger biscuit can be served warm from the oven, with gravy, or as a sandwich holder. The ingredient profile complies with the US Foods Unpronounceables List initiative
Online Ordering Made Easy
Last but not least, US Foods’ Summer Scoop lineup also includes ChowNow, which builds online ordering systems directly into a restaurant's own website, social media page, or branded mobile app. The CHECK Business Tool is commission-free, offering restaurants a flat rate and an innovative solution to protect their brand.
For more foodservice innovations as they roll down the pipeline, keep following Deli Market News.