New: Mariner Organic Little Dippers® Club House & Thin Wheat. Made Simple. Made Right.
Lactose-Free Bries
Walmart Sells the Majority of Brazilian Operation to Advent International

Walmart Sells the Majority of Brazilian Operation to Advent International


BRAZIL
Tuesday, June 5th, 2018

Under a new agreement, Advent International, a global private equity investor, will take control over the majority stake in Walmart Brazil, acquiring 80 percent of the retailer's Brazilian operations. The agreement grants Walmart the remaining 20 percent once the transaction has been completed.

Enrique Ostalé, CEO, Walmart Latin America“Walmart is committed to building strong, resilient businesses that continuously adapt to local customers’ needs in a rapidly changing world,” said Enrique Ostale, EVP and CEO of Walmart UK, Latin America, and Africa, in a recent press release. “We will retain a stake in Walmart Brazil and continue to share our global retail expertise, giving our Brazil business the best opportunity for long-term growth, providing opportunities for associates and low prices for customers.”

After 20 years in Brazil, the retail giant has not resolved issues troubling the Brazilian market, a tough pill to swallow since, as Forbes reports, Walmart typically looks to markets where believes it will succeed. While the reasons for the company’s Brazilian venture’s less-than-stellar stance are not concrete, Managing Director of GS & Intelligence, Eduardo Yamashita, suggested to the news source that this was possible the result of international and local competition or the retailer’s difficulties to localize its business to meet Brazil’s diverse population’s needs.

Advent International, global private equity investor, has agreed to invest in a majority stake in Walmart Brazil

This move, the company noted, is part of Walmart’s strategy to position it for long-term success.

Patrice Etlin, Managing Partner, Advent International“We have been in Brazil for over 20 years and are excited about this partnership with one of the country's leading retailers,” said Patrice Etlin, a Managing Partner at Advent International in Brazil. “We believe that with our local market knowledge and retail expertise we can position the company to generate significant results and reach new levels of success in Brazil. We plan to invest in the business, work with the Walmart Brazil management team, associates, Walmart, and our industry advisors to create a more agile and modern company to accelerate its development and improve the customer experience.”

The retailer will record a non-cash, net loss of about $4.5 billion as a discrete item during its second quarter, a big portion that the retailer attributes to the recognition of cumulative currency fluctuation losses.

How will this move impact other international players, and will we see more shifts in focus from Walmart as a result? Deli Market News will keep you updated.

Walmart
Topics:


New: Mariner Organic Little Dippers® Club House & Thin Wheat. Made Simple. Made Right. Lactose-Free Bries

Have a new product, press release or story idea?

Let us know

In This Story


We’re proud to serve customers in more than 25 countries worldwide and are committed to helping people save money so they can live a better life.

Marin French Cheese Introduces Petite Mustard Brie

The cheesemaker's latest line extension embraces a piquant flavor trend.
View Press Release

Specialty Food Association Winter Fancy Food Show Features Innovation and Disruption

The fastest-growing segment of the food industry, specialty food, is gathering in San Francisco, California, for another great show.
View Press Release

Ithaca Cold-Crafted Closes $2.7 Million In New Growth Capital From LiDestri Food and Drink

The brand is currently available at more than 3,000 retail doors across the U.S., including Wegmans, Publix, Stop & Shop, Shoprite, and The Fresh Market.
View Press Release

Califia Farms Further Diversifies Plant-Based Offerings With Launch Of New Oatmilk Line

The plant-based beverage company deepens its commitment to craft and plant-based nutrition.
View Press Release

Dewey's Bakery Expands Product Portfolio

The company introduces its new Tiki Bar collection, which brings the excitement of the seasons to the cookie aisle.
View Press Release

Brand Spankin’ New: Cypress Grove Launches Fresh Goat Cheese Cups and “Cheeseboards for Dinner” Campaign

The Humboldt County-based cheese producer making award-winning and world-renowned cheeses since 1983, will be showcasing a new addition to its fresh goat cheese line at this year’s Winter Fancy Food Show.
View Press Release